Friday, September 15, 2017

Where To Eat In Baguio 2017

We just came back from Baguio over one of the long weekends that happened in August.




We last visited Baguio in 2015, and I wrote 3 blog posts about it, which you can read here. I think over the last two years, tourism in Baguio has grown more because of the shortened travel time brought about by the completion of the TPLEX  (Tarlac-Pangasinan-LaUnion Expressway).

My husband doesn't mind driving to Baguio that much because of the good road condition in the NLEX, SCTEX and TPLEX. Travel time to Baguio is cut in half because of this. But I still can't believe the condition of Kennon Road. Parang no improvement at all. I also do not understand how the local government does not even have advisories placed when the road is closed to motorists.

We left Manila at 8 am, around the same time as my parents and 2 younger sisters. My other sister was scheduled to leave Manila late afternoon because her kids still had school that day. While we were safely in Baguio, we were not aware that Kennon Road had been declared closed to traffic until the next morning when my parent's driver informed us. The whole time it was declared unpassable, my sister and her entire family was still traversing it. Which makes me question, why were vehicles still allowed to pass? Isn't there supposed to be a sign somewhere before Kennon Road, maybe the Benguet toll gate, informing travelers to take Marcos Highway or any other alternate routes instead?

Because of Typhoon Jolina, we were also able to enjoy Baguio's crisp and cool weather. Yun nga lang, it would rain every mid-afternoon.


My mother's side of the family comes from Pampanga. I remember spending the entire summer vacation with her. My Lola Luring would always bring me along every time she'd go up to Baguio to visit with her friends. We would leave Angeles late at night and get to Baguio early morning. Ignorance is bliss ano? My adult self would not dare to take on Kennon Road at night. There's no way! Nakakatakot!

Sadly, traffic congestion has now plagued Baguio. My husband cannot be forced to drive around the usual tourist spots, and would rather just stay in the vicinity of Camp John Hay.

For this stay, we booked 4 rooms at the Manor. My parents love this place because of the picturesque garden.

Ayan oh ang mga millenials, busy sa kaka-IG or snapchat


We did not really have an itinerary planned for this trip, other than where to eat. We just really wanted to chill. Sharing with you where and what we ate.


Cafe By The Ruins Dua

We got to Baguio around lunch time, and everyone agreed that Cafe By The Ruins Dua was a good first stop. R and I had the Baguio Bagnet, which they say is one of the house specialties. I love the Padas bagoong they served it with. 


Good Shepherd

Since we all agreed early on that we wouldn't do the usual touristy spots, the girls decided to go to Good Shepherd after lunch to buy pasalubong. I know I wanted to buy ube jam because I have been wanting to try making a Mochi + Waffle recipe that's stuffed with this purple delight.

Here's what I made with the Ube Jam from Good Shepherd. It's part mochi and part waffle. 
I'll share this in a future post.


When we got there, one of us immediately lined up because there was a long queue of buyers. we haven't even waited for long when the PA announced that they ran out of ube jam already. Balik na lang daw kami bukas! Huwat?!? It's a good thing the cashier told me that if I'm willing to pay a few extra pesos, then I can purchase from a commissary near the gate which sells the same items. But it only opens after the main store closes. So that's what I did to get my ube jam.


Amare La Cucina

What we love most about this restaurant is that they allow diners to experience making the pizza you ordered - from scratch! Ang galing, di ba?

Watch the video of how my daughter and my sister tried flipping pizza dough, to adding the toppings and even up to putting the pizza inside the brick oven.



the finished product



Craft Brewery

When we went to Baguio a few years ago, my husband already visited this place, but this time around he was insistent that I should join him.  One of the reasons why he wanted to go back to Baguio was because of Baguio Craft Brewery.

He really enjoys the craft beers on tap. I really do not drink beer and could not distinguish what is good. They do offer a free taste of any beer before you order, but inspite of that, I was still clueless and had my husband do the ordering. I actually enjoyed what my daughter ordered- a mojito



the hipster bar counter setup with the 18 craft beer taps 

There's a very narrow ledge outside which also serves as a table if the bar is too crowded already. I think it must've ruined the vibe for the millenials to see a tita with them. hahahaha!


 I couldn't finish my drink and C didn't want to leave yet 
so nagpa-order na lang ako ng appetizer platter




Choco-Late de Batirol

CHOCOLATE de Batirol is a cafe located inside Camp John Hay which specializes in bittersweet tsokolate drink made from cacao beans. The kids and I planned to eat breakfast here after a short morning jog, but unfortunately the place was packed solid and wait time could reach 2 hours. We settled to having our tsokolate to-go instead.






BenCab Musuem 

A museum by Naitonal Artist Ben Cabrera to house the collections of his own works, as well as those of acknowledged Filipino masters and rising contemporary artists.


The backyard has a majestic view of the mountains and a beautifully landscaped garden.







 

Maestro Gallery houses a selection of works by Aguinaldo, Chabet, Edades, Joya, Legaspi, Luz, Magsaysay-Ho, Sanso, Zobel and other acknowledged masters of Philippine art.






Lemon & Olives

Everyone was in agreement that we wanted to try this new Greek restaurant. The place is very instagrammable, which made my daughter very happy. But personally the food was jsut so-so. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular either. But overall still worth a visit.


 



Camp John Hay

It used to be that when I was younger, everytime we were in Baguio, my dad would turn off the car a/c and roll down all the windows so we could breathe in the fresh Baguio air, with the distinct scent of the pine trees. But sadly, Baguio is so commercialized already that it is now one of the most polluted cities in the Philippines.

It's a good thing, that inside Camp John Hay, the pine trees have been preserved. The kids and I took a morning run/walk.



But on our last day, it was just me and my fave son.  He had not had any decent training since going up to Baguio and he id not want to feel sluggish when he resumes training in Manila. I so admire the discipline of my 12-year old. 
I walked and he ran.


Earthing

It's my first time to hear of it when my sister invited me to join them on our last morning. My oldest daughter and I are game to join them walking barefoot. I googled earthing, and it says: "Earthing is connecting to the Earth’s natural energy by walking barefoot on grass, sand, dirt or rock. It can help diminish chronic pain, fatigue and other ailments that plague so many people today."


"To put it briefly, when your bare feet or skin comes in contact with the earth, free electrons are taken up into the body. These electrons could be referred to as nature’s biggest antioxidants and help neutralise damaging excess free radicals that can lead to inflammation and disease in the body."



On our way home, nag-stop over pa kami to buy some Bagoong Padas and danggit.



.     .     .     .     .

As always, I made sure that we took a lot of family photos. I'm really the kind of mom who irritates everyone in her family because almost everything has to be documented. I love looking back at past photos kase and see and feel details long forgotten. I am reminded of what matters and how time moves too quickly, and to treasure the moments we have today.



Ayan na muna for now.:) I haven't resized the other photos yet to make it downloadable easily. I'll share them soon.



FOLLOW ME!   

No comments :

Post a Comment