Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sun, Sea and Shameless Vanity

The fact that I live in a tropical country where the beaches are just a good one-hour trip away doesn’t take away the sad reality that I have yet to master the art of looking good at the beach. But I try – every year, I tell you! Let me forewarn you, though, that after everything has been done…. No, I still don’t really look like the beach babe that I desire to be… only (more and more each year) like the mom of three that I actually am. Still, a girl has to try! :)

We are off to the beach tomorrow and here I am sharing with you the steps I’ve taken (in vain) to look a teensy-bit better::


1. Get a head start on my tan.

In the beach, a healthy sun kissed glow is always the best fashion accessory. For the past four years now, I have managed to look like a beach sweetie, thanks to my triumvirate of L’Oreal self-tanners.

A few days before our departure, I start slathering on L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Lotion in Medium Natural Tan everyday to build up my sunless tan. It usually takes around three to four applications to get the golden color that I like.


At around the same time, I also use the Sublime Bronze FACE on my face and neck to make sure that I have an even tan all over.
   




On the day of departure I always make sure to wake up a few minutes earlier to make sure I apply L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Gelee in Medium Natural Tan. This dual-action bronzer and self-tanning lotion is one of my favorite products. It delivers an instant glow and builds up the existing (sunless) tan I have with a hint of glimmer.



2. Paint toe nails in a vivid summery color.





3. Wax/shave legs, underarms and bikini area the night before.



4. On the beach, apply sun block with high SPF at least 30 minutes 
before sun exposure and re-apply every 2 hours.

I use VMV's Armada Sport SPF70. It is quite expensive, but I am taking them up on their claim that their formula "creates a unique barrier-film, an invisible virtual second skin that stays on skin's surface to maintain protection integrity in and out of water, and while exposed to harsh sun and heat."

I usually put on Armada first and after letting my skin absorb it for a few minutes, I layer on L'Oreal's tinted self tanner. The tinted gel leaves my skin with an instant glittery shimmer that stays on until I shower or take a dip in the pool, unlike the glitter sprays or powders.



5. Massage hair with a deep moisturizing conditioner and put it up in a messy bun.



6. Acessorize (and protect) with a good pair of shades offering UV protection and a wide brimmed straw hat.

 

7. Remember that the best thing to wear on the beach is a SMILE!


1 comment :

  1. Nothing shameless about that :-) On our recent trip, we used Nivea sunblocks for kids and adults, but years ago, I also used Armada on my face. Have a great weekend and be sure to share your own experience of Acuatico ;)

    ReplyDelete