Monday, August 4, 2014

{Phenomenal Tip} How To Make Your Salad Greens Stay Fresh & Crisp Longer

We buy our organic vegetables by bulk and it gets delivered every Tuesday or Wednesday.  Everyone in the family loves salad greens; as such, my fridge is full of organic romaine lettuce, arugula, spinach.  I've read somewhere that loose lettuces such as romaine contain more antioxidants and nutrients than the tightly-packed ones such as iceberg.  



Whenever we get a new delivery, I always serve greens on the table because leafy greens wilt very fast.  Do you also hate it when leafy greens turn soggy and wilted after a few days?  Organic vegetables are expensive so it's such a waste to see them spoil before we can finish everything. I have found a system that makes the  greens stay fresh longer and at the same time makes it convenient to just grab a handful of when I want to make a quick salad.

There are times, my husband and I have it for our breakfast smoothies, too.

Sometimes, when I feel like I want to lessen my carbo intake, I skip the rice and have the greens with some grilled seafood for my meal.

With my method of storing packaged salad greens, they keep in the refrigerator for up to a 4-5 days – and it stays green and crisp!
Tiny Buds Baby Bottle Wash also doubles as a fruits and vegetable wash.
It is made with a special food-safe formula that makes it easy to clean
 fruits and vegetables without the worry of leaving any toxic residue behind.
I’m no salad expert, but the key to keeping them fresh is to pre-wash, dry and store the leafy greens on the same day that I purchase them AND to put a paper towel inside the container to absorb excess moisture. Yes, it’s that simple and it really works for me, so I thought of sharing it with you all. 
1. Fill a bowl with water and add 1-2 pumps of Tiny Buds Baby Bottle Wash; but if I don't have that on hand, I also just use 1/8 to 1/2 cup of vinegar, depending on the size of your bowl.
2. Place your fruits and veggies in the bowl. Give the leaves a good soak in a big kitchen bowl to get rid of the dirt, as greens tend to accumulate dirt more easily than other veggies. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Remove leaves from the bowl (do not pour out the greens along with the water, as you will be pouring the dirt right back on the leaves) and rinse leaves one by one under cold running water. Shake off excess liquid with a salad spinner, or pat dry before storing. Make sure not to put too much or the leaves won’t dry properly. 
4. Simply put a paper towel inside the container of the salad greens and change that paper towel every day. The paper towel draws the moisture out of the salad greens, allowing salad greens to stay fresh longer.
5.  Don’t forget to change the paper towel every day, and your leafy salad greens will stay fresh for about 4-5 days.  

**Although having a salad spinner is not necessary, I honestly think it is such a good kitchen tool to have, especially if you would like to include serving more leafy greens to your family.

Thank you to Tiny Buds for sending over the big bagful of goodies.  I love your Baby Bottle Wash, even if I don't have a baby in the house, since it doubles as a vegetable and fruit wash. It gives me peace of mind that all the ingredients are made with a special food-safe formula that is Paraben-free, and SLS-free. Makes the job of cleaning our leafy vegetables so easy without the worry of leaving any toxic residue behind.

My kids also swear by their internationally awarded Rice Baby Powder, made from 100% Rice Grains milled into a super-fine powder that repels sweat and leaves my kids smelling fresh all day.  It has helped keep their eczema in control during hot and humid days.

For more information, visit www.tinybudsbaby.com
like their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/tinybuds
email: info@tinybudsbaby.com.


FOLLOW ME!   

5 comments :

  1. Ako naman I use distilled white vinegar diluted in water as rinse for salad greens and other fruits and veggies we will eat raw. Wish my kids will learn to eat fresh salads! Si M lang ang mas willing to eat from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be honest but I love reading recipes most especially for green vegies salad. I will definitely try this!

    http://www.seftiburcio.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! This is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ako I put a pinch of salt in a bowl full of water then soak the veggies for about 5 minutes. After rinsing the leaves and placing it back in the bowl, I wrap with Cling.

    xoxo
    MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to use Tiny Buds to wash my son's baby bottles. :) Didn't know they could be an alternative to washing greens!:)

    Everything you prepared with greens looks so yummy!! I'm a salad addict!

    ReplyDelete