Monday, June 28, 2010

A Switch To Doodle Stitching

Boo-hoo-hoo!  There's deep sorrow in my heart as I finally concede that I might have to take a respite from baking.  I know my oven and Kitchen Aid will be grieving with me as well.  I am pretty sure that while my kitchen floor will remain white and the granite counter will keep its sparkle, they, too, will be missing all the gastronomic action with the flour and sugar and eggs.

You see, C and I both had our annual blood chemistry test a few weeks ago; and the results are all fine, save for our cholesterol levels.  We cannot think of anything that might contribute to its high levels except for the tubs and tubs of butter that go into the baked goodies which my oven churn out ever so often.  Which is why even if my baking pantry is fully-brimmed with supplies that the door won't close, I will take a break for our health's sake.

But there's no taming that part of me wishing to create, if not in the kitchen, then maybe somewhere else.  I have taken interest in almost every crafting project there is starting from when I was in high school.  I have a few framed projects of cross-stitching, paper toile, decoupage.  I need something to replace baking with asap!

I was just in the browsing the crafting aisles of the bookstore this morning when I chanced upon embroidery books.   There are a lot of contemporary embroidery patterns to choose from that it forces to break free from the stereotype that it is a craft for grandmamas.


A happy garden

Russian Matryoshka dolls.

Cartoon images
 

Why not, right? It's one of the cheapest and low commitment crafts there is.  While that might be true, C cautiously reminded me how I already have my hands full with the three kids and their crazy schedules, running, writing for this blog... 

Still, I think it's too late for caution.... I have already been bitten by the embroidery bug!  This book by Aimee Ray (Doodle Stitching: Fresh & Fun Embroidery for Beginners ) is all to blame! 



To get started, a beginner only needs the following:
  1. A good needle is the most important of the hand embroidery supplies you will need.
  2. Fabric to embroider on.
  3. Make sure you have all the right colors of embroidery floss, and enough of them to complete your project.
  4. A good pair of really sharp scissors.
  5. If you are not really imaginative or the artistic type, you can have a hard time embroidering something without a pattern. It is strongly suggested to buy an embroidery book to aid you with the design and color combination.  Or you can also get some free embroidery designs that you can download and print here.

4 comments :

  1. We suggest that you bake those yummy cookies, pies and cakes for BUCCANEERS na lang. We would love to munch them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina, I'm sure you don't have to give up baking just yet. You can find "healthier" baking recipes out there, making use of better fat or natural sweeteners. As for doodle stitching, that looks like an awesome project for yourself! Go for it! Can't wait to see all the finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your solution may be to bake in moderation, hahaha...but embroidery is a fine alternative as I was into it before high school (kasalan uli ni mama, she bought me the kit). I see you have everything you need, except maybe the bamboo rings which is very useful to stretch and hold the cloth so you can stitch with ease. It was part of my kit before so I wondered if that was old-school already...good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! i am sure it's not really for the Buccaneers... more for the parents of the Buccaneers. :)

    Michelle and Jen, what I don't have right now is TIME! hahaha! Thanks, michelle, tha bamboo ring is very much needed still. I might just have forgotten to put it in my list. :)

    ReplyDelete