Monday, August 15, 2011

Dressing A Tween For A Party



J attended her first 18th birthday party a few Sundays ago.  One of the girls from her swim team recently turned 18, and the all the girls on the team surprised the celebrant with a well-rehearsed dance number, choreographed by one of the swimmers.   J was excited, to say the least!  Imagine, going to an adult party with her friends - and doing a dance number pa.:)  





We both know that we wanted her to look nice; She wanted to NOT look like a little girl, but not too grown-up, either.  While I know I wanted to NOT buy her a new dress. Haha!  So in the end, we agreed she should just look sweet.:)


J's outfit for an 18th bday party


Vero Moda cotton dress, TopShop ballerina shoes, Dolce Gabbana shoulder strap handbag, Mango belt



After days of mixing and matching, we finally agreed on a hand-me down bubble dress (given to her when my younger sister cleaned out her closet just a few months earlier).  Hurray for fashionable Aunties!   




The pink wrap-around belt and the aqua blue bag are borrowed from my closetJust to disclose, I purchased the bag from a Mango sale about ten years ago, and I never got to use it because when I got home I found the aqua color too trendy and youthful.  It's just great that my daughters can now make good use of it.


Here is our photo booth pic:







I am sure this is just the first of numerous youth parties that she will be invited to, and I am even more sure that she will be asking me for help to choose her outfits.  I just hope that I can teach her that dressing well doesn't mean wearing the trendiest clothes.  The only requirements for dressing well (at any age) is first: to make sure your clothes fit; second, to be Neat and Clean.  Having said that, I can only pray that she learns to be content with choosing from her existing clothes, or learn to creatively shop from my closet. Because having a shopaholic daughter is the last thing I want!:)



Thanks for reading "Our Phenomenal Life." If you subscribe to the blog via RSS feed or via email, you'll get new posts sent straight to you, for free! 

 



Like this post? Subscribe here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...