Thursday, September 13, 2012

Phenomenal Tip: How to Wear Animal Prints


I’ve always had a fascination with animal prints that I have accumulated a few dresses, and more than a handful of  accessories; all of which have stood the test of time.  It seems to me like animal print comes in and out of style every couple of years; which, in my book, makes it a style-staple that is here to stay!  

I’ve had a cheetah-print fabric band which I’ve used as a headband when I was in my twenties, that I’ve now transformed into a scarf.  My zebra-print dress has been with me from the early years of my marriage, and has gone on several trips with me.  My leopard-print bag instantly brings personality to an otherwise plain outfit.

Animal print can seem daunting to wear; but if you find the right way to wear it, and what to wear it with,you will find it to be the easiest way to level up an otherwise plain outfit. 

1.  Stick to one.  If you are wearing an animal print dress, then keep the rest of your outfit in plain neutral color.  Keep it simple with the rest of your accessories because you don't want to overpower the rest of the look. Subtlety is the key word when it comes to stylish ways of wearing animal prints. 
 

2.  Keep the look true to yourself.  The way you wear it can be as unique as you want it to be – classy, glamorous, wild, punk.  It just depends on what you wear with it and how you wear it. 

I’ve always been drawn to classic, conservative lines, so I pair animal prints with neutrals (black, khaki, cream, white).  I limit mixing and matching the animal print with solid, basic colors only. Black and khaki, in my opinion, seem to be the best combination.   
But, red looks good with animal prints also.

But if you are the adventurous dresser, then you can pair your animal print with bold colors like fuchsia and green. 




3.   Indulge yourself in animal-print loungewear.  If you've always wanted to wear animal prints, but are too bashful to do so in public, then try to wear them in the privacy of your own bedroom.  Unleash your "roar" in the confines of your bedroom.

4. Do look for animal prints in classic shapes. Clean, simple lines are a great canvass for the loud prints. 


5.  Wear minimal accessories with animal prints. Wear simple accessory like a black pair of simple shoes or a simple black belt around a dress.


6.  Do try animal prints in small doses. You'll never go wrong trying animal prints in smaller pieces like a handbag, scarf or shoe. Even a tiny belt can add some spice to the outfit.




How do you wear yours?

click on the images for sources

FOLLOW ME!   
   

5 comments :

  1. This post reminds me of the dress I wore when I stayed overnight in Acacia Hotel http://mrsmartinezravesandrants.blogspot.com/2012/04/spotted-mrsmartinez-cougar-mode.html
    xoxo
    MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove animal print and I dare say that it's part of my "signature style". I like pairing it with red, and thanks for the idea of pairing with other bright colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my animal prints in small doses. The only animal print I've ever owned is a pair of ballet flats, which I always wore with dark skinny jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not that bold so I'll just try animal prints with my shoes, bags and accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love animal prints too! I have a scarf, a belt, shoes, and even hair accessories! I just need a bag now! :))) I really like mixing with basic colors too like black, beige, white...and of course, my fave accent red color :)

    ReplyDelete