Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Japanese-style Potato Salad Recipe

My kids have a new-found fondness for Japanese style potato salad.  They love the creaminess of the potatoes, the crunchiness of the carrots and cucumbers when mixed with Japanese mayo.  And they have been numerous requests for me to make more, more, more!

On the other hand, I have never been fond of savoury and creamy salads.  I prefer tossed greens (arugula, for the most part) with a simple balsamic vinaigrette.  Even if I do not share their appetite for this carbohydrate-rich salad, I cannot say no to their request.

My version of the potato salad skips over some of the usual suspects.  For instance, I just use half of the recommended amount of Japanese mayo, and substitute it with plain yogurt.  My family never notices.



Without the heavy toppings, the potato contains no fat or cholesterol and is a healthy choice in any diet. The potato is a complex carbohydrate. Foods that contain added sugars--such as soft drinks, fruit drinks, candy, baked goods and dairy-based desserts--are simple carbohydrates.

Japanese potato salad has a mild, creamy flavor; unlike American or German style potato salads, no acid/vinegar is used. It's seasoned only with salt and a little pepper, and lots and lots of mayonnaise, Japanese brand of mayo, of course.
Japanese-style Potato Salad
8 medium sized potatoes
1 medium sized carrot
1 medium sized Japanese cucumber (if I don't have cucumber on hand, I sometimes substitute with apple or pear)
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup Japanese mayo (I use the Kewpie brand) You can add a little more mayonnaise if the dressing is too stiff to mix well
pinch of salt and pepper

*I refuse to serve that much mayo to my kids, so I have to compromise; instead of 1 cup of mayo, I use 1/2 cup mayo and 1 full sized single serve container plain yogurt. 

Topping
1 tsp black sesame seeds, toasted
Spring onions, chopped

Directions
Wash the potatoes then peel, and rinse in cold water.
Cut into about 1 inch by 1 inch cubes and rinse again.
Bring a large pot of water to a full boil, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cubed potatoes (add 2 cubed carrots now if desired).
Boil until semi tender (fork passes through with slight resistance).
Drain and let cool.


Make the dressing
In a medium mixing bowl mash the 1/2 cup eggs and 1/2 cup potato cubes together.
Add the mayonnaise. (finely chop 2 green onions then add now if desired)
Add the salt and pepper (start with smaller amounts and add to taste) then mix well.
Dressing should have a stiff texture.


Final Mix
Add dressing to potato mix and stir until well mixed
If desired garnish with one or two finely chopped green onions and or toasted sesame seed.
Chill and serve cold or at room temperature.


Sometimes, when I feel like indulging the kids, I add some kani cubes and bacon bits in the salad.  It makes me the "best mom ever" of course!:)


FOLLOW ME!   

No comments :

Post a Comment