Monday, September 30, 2019

#TPMkitchen: Honey-Soy Glazed Salmon

Salmon is one of my family's faves. My kids enjoy it and they really look forward to having it that I have learned many ways to cook with salmon. Aside from the kids, C  has also learned to appreciate the health benefits of salmon now that he's older and has a lot of dietary restrictions.
Salmon is loaded with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids 

I usually cook salmon with just salt and pepper and a bit of butter. Taking it out of the pan when it's medium-well, cover it and letting the residual heat cook the fish.

We also enjoy salmon when cooked with honey and soy sauce. The combination of honey and soy creates this umami combo of sweet and salty that's a perfect foil to the salmon. I figured that since I'm using the Keta Salmon variety, cooking it with sauce is one sure way to ensure a juicy and tender flesh.

When I first made this years ago, I followed the recipe that says to marinate the salmon in the honey-soy sauce mixture, but then I find that it burns so fast because of the caramelization of the honey. Through the years, I've tweaked the recipe, and the one I'm using now is, in my opinion, the easiest way to do Honey-Soy Glazed Salmon.

Salmon is quite pricey, and its a good thing my kids love to eat everything - including the skin!



How To Get That Crispy Salmon Skin

First thing I do is to make sure that the scales have been removed.

Then, I dry the salmon very well with paper towels to make sure I can get the skin to sear and crisp. I also season the skin with a generous amount of salt.

I place it on a pre-heated lightly oiled pan. You'll know its hot enough when you hear a sizzling sound when the fish touches the pan.

Let the salmon cook for 80% of the time on the skin side. This allows the skin to crisp up, and also results in a gentler cooking for the flesh.


How to Ensure Tender, Flaky Salmon 

Depends on the size of your fillet, but for me it would be approximately 3-5 minutes on the skin side and another 2 minutes on the other side. Again, this would depend on the size of your fish and the heat of your pan. If it's a big and thick fillet, I partially cover the pan to make sure the insides cook at the same time. I don't cover it fully to allow steam to escape because it is important for me to have crisp skin. Pinag-aagawan kase yung balat dito sa bahay.

This will give you salmon that is perfectly cooked to medium – the flesh is flaky and moist inside. It should retain that slightly pink color. You know you've overcooked it when the inside turns into pale pink that's bordering on white.


Honey-Soy Glazed Salmon Recipe
For a quick and easy meal, serve it with a side of steamed bokchoy or any other vegetables. You’ve got a quick dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes!


Ingredients

SAUCE
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 heavy dash white pepper
1 large garlic clove (or 2 small) , minced

SALMON
2 SeaKing Keta salmon slab
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

OPTIONAL GARNISHES
Sesame seeds
Finely sliced chives or shallots/scallions


Instructions

1. Take salmon out of the fridge 20 minutes before cooking. Pat salmon skin dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

2. Whisk together the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

3. Drizzle oil in a non stick fry pan and heat over medium high heat. Place salmon in the pan, and cook skin side up 3 - 5 minutes until skin crisps up. Turn, then cook the other side for 2 - 3 minutes.

4. Pour in the honey soy mixture all over the pan as soon as you flip the salmon, and cook until the fish is tender and flaky.

5. Serve salmon drizzled with sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chives/shallots/scallions, if desired. Arrange bok choy/vegetables on plate.




I also like to make extra of this because the kids like it when I turn the leftovers into Salmon Onigiri the next day.

Give this Honey-Soy Glazed Salmon a try and let me know if it becomes a greatest hit for your family, too!


*     *     *

SeaKing Wild Alaskan Keta Salmon

I used SeaKing Wild Alaskan Keta Salmon slab in this recipe. One of the things I appreciate about SeaKing is that each slab is individually wrapped in serving portion. Unlike the other brands that I buy where I have to purchase a very big slab and cut it to serving portion size by myself.



It's my first time to try the Keta variety. When I opened the pack, I immediately noticed the paler color. It also doesn't have the strong salmon flavor that I am accustomed to, so this is perfect for people who prefer a milder salmon flavor. No fishy after-taste whatsoever.

While cooking, I discovered that Keta Salmon is leaner. I'm used to cooking salmon with a higher fat content, and I had to adjust my cooking time and method to make sure that I don't put a dry salmon on the dining table. I found that the best way to cook Keta salmon is to let it simmer along with the sauce to ensure that the meat stays tender. Overcooking salmon is a sure way to get tough and chewy meat. Not appetizing at all!

SeaKing Wild Alaskan Keta Salmon is imported from Alaska and is caught in the wild, 
and not farmed.

When C was diagnosed with very high triglycerides levels a few years back, I have added salmon into our diet. I have researched about the benefits of Salmon and found out that

Salmon can contribute to a healthy heart by:
Lowering triglycerides and cholesterol levels
Contributing Omega-3s to maintain healthy arteries and veins
Strengthening cardiac muscles and repairing cardiovascular tissues

Salmon can contribute to a healthy brain by:
Promoting mood related signals and optimal brain function
Reducing the risk of depression, ADHD, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and dementia


To know more about SEAKING

FOLLOW ME!   

No comments :

Post a Comment