Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Phenomenal Tip: DIY Instant Pancake Mix

On mornings when the kids' schedule is not that hectic, one of our favorite breakfasts to make and eat is pancakes. Ever since I started making my own from-scratch pancake mix, I stopped buying ready-mixes from the grocery. Read about what brand I used to purchased before I started making my own mix.

We all declare it to be a perfect day, most especially when bacon is on board, too!  
I make one batch of the mix ahead of time and store it inside the refrigerator. Everytime I cook pancakes for breakfast I just scoop out two cups full. I get the convenience of a boxed instant panake mix, without any of the preservatives! Happy dance here!

I just add eggs, butter, buttermilk to my mix, and I am good to go!

DIY Instant Pancake Mix
(recipe loosely adapted from Alton Brown of Food Network and a few adjustments courtesy of my friend, Mish )

Ingredients:
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar

Directions
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix.
2. Use the mix within 3 months.

"INSTANT" PANCAKES:
2 eggs, separated
1-3/4 cups plus buttermilk***
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups "Instant" Pancake Mix, recipe above
1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
***to make butttermilk, I just mix 1-1/2 cups milk and 4 tablespoons white vinegar.  Let rest for 5 minutes.

1. Heat non-stick pan. 
2. Whisk together the egg whites and buttermilk in a separate bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.
3. Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and fold until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.  The batter should be thick and difficult to pour.
4. Check to see that the pan is hot by placing a few drops of water onto to the griddle. The pan is ready if the water dances across the surface.
5. Lightly butter the pan. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)
6. Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the pan and sprinkle on fruit or choco chips if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.
7. Serve immediately or hold in the oven with the pilot lights turned on, until ready to eat.

*** If you are in a hurry, you can omit the step where you separate the whites and the yolks, and just beat the eggs together. Proceed to combine all the wet ingredients. Then pour liquid ingredients on to the druy ingredients. 






The pancakes always come out golden, fluffy, flavorful and golden... or blue or pink! After all, my li'l girl doesn't call me "the best mom ever" for nothing. teeheehee! B wanted blue mickey mouse pancakes that day... swimming in a pool of maple syrup.



... while J wanted pink ombre pancakes.. because "ombre is so in."

I wrote about how I did the pink ombre pancakes here:


AND as a mom, their wish is my command!:)

FOLLOW ME!    

7 comments :

  1. This bookmarked! I'm still on the look out for gluten-free pancake recipe, ang mahal lang kasi ng GF flour and xanthan gum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot on the internet, but I have been hesitant to try because it usually involve buying different kinds of flour and xantham gum. The kids don't have to go gluten-free naman, I just want to lessen their intake of it. But one of these days, pag di ko matiis, I might just give it a try.

      Delete
  2. What do we do with the egg whites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mix the egg whites with the buttermilk, the egg yolk with the melted butter. :)

      Delete
  3. I tried making pancakes from scratch before using the recipe in the Goldilocks Bake Book, but it lacked fluffiness for me. Gonna try yours next. :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow coloured pancakes!:) You're supermom!:) I looooove bacon with pancakes. It's the best combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Please adopt me na! I want to live in your house hehehe I remember my mom used to bake brownies when we were younger. I miss those days!

    xoxo
    MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete