Wednesday, May 20, 2015

TPM Kitchen | Phenomenal Tip: Homemade Bacon

How do I love bacon? Hmmm... Let me count the ways...


Ever since, I've started on the path to CLEANer EATING, I've consciously tried to look for ways to cut out the "poison" in the everyday meals I serve my family.  I just want to lessen the preservatives in the food we eat.  We don't have any intentions of turning vegan, vegetarian, etc. Just a healthy balance of everything.:) Which means that we don't really give up bacon... we just don't eat the processed one from the grocery.




CLEANer EATING
Healthy Ideas & Yummy Recipes tested in the TPM Kitchen
What To Eat When You Want To Eat Clean


Homemade Bacon is one of my family's fave food... and understandably so! Who can resist the crispy layers of fat cooked to perfection?  Surely, not us! When I was buying bacon from the grocery, I would only indulge them once every quarter, or even less frequently than that, kase I cannot take the deadly combo of nitrates + fat. But now that I make my own bacon, I don't feel as guilty even if I serve it every other month, baka pwede pa ngang once a month. teehee! It's basically just thinly sliced liempo, oven baked to perfection. I also make sure to use sea salt from Healthy Options, instead of table salt. You can read why here.

Just to make sure your expectations are managed here, my bacon recipe is a very simple one. It doesn't have the smoky flavor of commercial bacon. Just plain and simple bacon recipe. Just the way I like it.



Phenomenal Tip
How to Make Your Own Bacon & 
Cooking It To Perfection


1. Ask your trusted butcher to thinly slice a cut of pork liempo.  I already have a butcher who knows what I want... di mashadong makapal young taba. I will be honest with you, one kilo of liempo is not enough for my family of 5. Please don't judge. :)

2. Put your bacon out on the kitchen counter one hour before you cook it because the fat renders easily if the bacon is at room temperature.

3. I have tried marinating it in vinegar and sea salt, and also just throwing in some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper just before cooking.


Verdict? I feel like there's no recognizable difference in taste to be bothered with the extra step of marinating in vinegar so I've always just thrown in a pinch of sea salt and pepper just right before cooking.

4. FRY vs BAKE:

If you’re frying your bacon:
1. Put your pan on medium to medium-high heat. You might be tempted to put it higher, but resist doing that because perfect bacon requires a slow and steady heat source. Wag madaliin!
2. lay the bacon strips without overlapping.
3. Cook until golden brown and crispy. Turning over once during cooking to make sure both sides are cooked through.
4. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil.

If you're baking: (You should try baking your bacon, as it is the easiest way to cook bacon.)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. 
2. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, then lay the bacon strips flat without overlapping. 
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the bacon. 
4. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil.

5. Do not crowd your bacon! Overlapping the strips prevent the bacon from getting crispy and results in soggy, gross bacon.




Give it a try! But don't blame me if you suddenly have bacon cravings week after week!





FOLLOW ME!   

1 comment :

  1. I wanna do this, too! Anything homemade is awesome. I just need to ask my butcher for this particular cut (and thin slice). :)

    ReplyDelete