How do I love bacon? Hmmm... Let me count the ways...
Ever since, I've started on the path to CLEANer EATING, I've consciously tried to look for ways to cut out the "poison" in the everyday meals I serve my family. I just want to lessen the preservatives in the food we eat. We don't have any intentions of turning vegan, vegetarian, etc. Just a healthy balance of everything.:) Which means that we don't really give up bacon... we just don't eat the processed one from the grocery.
Healthy Ideas & Yummy Recipes tested in the TPM Kitchen
What To Eat When You Want To Eat Clean
Just to make sure your expectations are managed here, my bacon recipe is a very simple one. It doesn't have the smoky flavor of commercial bacon. Just plain and simple bacon recipe. Just the way I like it.
How to Make Your Own Bacon &
Cooking It To Perfection
1. Ask your trusted butcher to thinly slice a cut of pork liempo. I already have a butcher who knows what I want... di mashadong makapal young taba. I will be honest with you, one kilo of liempo is not enough for my family of 5. Please don't judge. :)
2. Put your bacon out on the kitchen counter one hour before you cook it because the fat renders easily if the bacon is at room temperature.
3. I have tried marinating it in vinegar and sea salt, and also just throwing in some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper just before cooking.
Verdict? I feel like there's no recognizable difference in taste to be bothered with the extra step of marinating in vinegar so I've always just thrown in a pinch of sea salt and pepper just right before cooking.
4. FRY vs BAKE:
If you’re frying your bacon:
1. Put your pan on medium to medium-high heat. You might be tempted to put it higher, but resist doing that because perfect bacon requires a slow and steady heat source. Wag madaliin!
2. lay the bacon strips without overlapping.
3. Cook until golden brown and crispy. Turning over once during cooking to make sure both sides are cooked through.
4. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil.
If you're baking: (You should try baking your bacon, as it is the easiest way to cook bacon.)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, then lay the bacon strips flat without overlapping.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the bacon.