Friday, May 23, 2014

Mango Royale Recipe


It all started with this basket of the sweetest mangoes.
They were definitely sweet to be eaten on its own; perfect when just slightly chilled. The kids also loved them added to their smoothies. But, I wondered what else I could do with them. And after searching on the web, I came upon … Mango Royale!


My version is a loosely gathered from several online sources, here and here. but I made a few changes:
1. I lessened the condensed milk as I knew from past experiences working with cream and condensed milk that the ratio given would be annoyingly sweet.
2. I added gelatine to my cream mixture. Whipped cream can sometimes be tricky to work with because it can turn runny after a while. Others just freeze it, but I do not want my whipped cream frozen because it alters the texture of the dessert, since the cream is then forced to crystallize. The whipped cream will hence forth lose its airy-ness.

I just want my whipped cream to be “set. ” Also, don’t you agree that it’s a bit burdensome to wait for the frozen dessert to melt a little to make it ready to be eaten. Sorry, I know I am such a nit-pick!:)

This is one dessert that my kids love so much that I had requests to do it in consecutive days. It’s so easy that even the first time we did it, the 2 younger kids took most of the lead and I just assisted.

Here’s my version of Mango Royale:

1-1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
5 tablespoons of melted butter
1 pack of graham crackers
4-6 mangoes, cubed (this will depend on the size of your mangoes, but the more the merrier)
2 packs of all-purpose cream, chilled overnight or more
½ cup of condensed milk, chilled
1 sachet of Ferna or Knox gelatine
1/8 cup of warm water, add more warm water by the teaspoon if the gelatin starts to set and you are not yet ready to assemble

1. In a deep 7x11 glass pan, add the crushed graham crackers and pour the melted butter on top. Mix well and then flatten to form the crust. Press with the back of a spoon to make it compact. Place in the freezer while you prepare the cream filling.
2. Empty the contents of the gelatine sachet in a cup, and mix with the warm water. Mix until the gelatine is dissolved. Set aside.
3. Whip the chilled all-purpose cream until double in size, and stiff peaks form. Gradually add the condensed milk, continue to mix in using the lowest mixer setting. Be careful not to over mix.
4. Pour in the gelatine mixture to the cream mixture and continue to mix using the lowest mixer setting, and again, huwag mang-gigil sa kami-mix!:) Just mix to blend.
5. Take out the glass pan from the freezer and be ready to assemble. Pour half of the cream mixture in the pan, top liberally with cubed mangoes. Place whole graham crackers to cover entirely to make it ready for the next layer.
6. Pour in the remainder of the cream mixture and then the mangoes.
7. Cover the pan and set aside in the chiller section of the refrigerator for 24 hours, for best results. But honestly, in my house, no one can wait 24 hours! They eat ASAP!:)
8. Indulge and Devour!

FOLLOW ME!   

1 comment :

  1. This is bookmarked! Kulang na ang mangoes dito, hahahah... hindi na nahintay magawa ito. For sure I will make this dessert - we all love mangoes! Parang cheese cake din pala, wala lang cream cheese, heehee... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete