Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Gluten-free Moffles (Mochi + Waffles)

For the longest time, I have been using this recipe to make gluten-free waffles for my girls. Until the time I saw my friend, Sabrina, posts something on IG. She called her creation Ube Mochi Waffles. It's my first time to hear of that. She used glutinous rice four and coconut milk. Naintriga ako, so when I was able to get hold of ube halaya from Good Shepherd, I made sure to try her recipe.

It looks like any ordinary waffle, but when you bite into it, you will discover that it is so much better. The outside is toasted, while the inside is chewy. And please let's not forget the ube filling.



For people with a gluten-intolernace, like my girls, they are the best thing ever. 



Ube Mochi Waffles
The original recipe can be found here.

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature, plus extra for brushing
1 egg
1 teaspoon ube extract
1/2 cup coconut milk (gata)
1 1/4 cup glutinous rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup bottled ube jam (ube halaya)
1/2 cup bottled macapuno

PROCEDURE
1. Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Mix in the egg, ube extract, and coconut milk and mix until combined. Set aside.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk until combined.
3. Place the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and fold until just combined.
4. Using an ice-cream scooper, fill up to 3/4 full with batter. scoop out a teaspoon for ube and drop into the ice-cream scooper. Pour into waffle griddle and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until parts of the mocha waffle is golden brown.





Because I find it hard to leave a good recipe alone, I also experimented making Matcha Moffles.


I just followed the exact recipe I shared above and did the following revisions:
-vanilla extract instead of ube extract
-added 1 tsp of matcha powder
-added another 1/4 cup of sugar to make the total 1/2 cup.

Go try it and lemme know how it goes!


FOLLOW ME!   

No comments :

Post a Comment